Greenwood Cemetery Association is rich in history and family heritage. Back in 1777, George Washington marched his troops through its land on his way to the Battle of Trenton. Originally the site of the Anderson farm, Greenwood Cemetery Association was founded in 1874. It was first developed as a monument cemetery; however, the southeast portion was subsequently designated as the Garden of Memories, where only flush bronze memorials may be installed.
The cemetery’s five public mausoleums offer the protection and comfort of above-ground burial. The Mercer County Veterans section of Greenwood Cemetery is the first in U.S. history to include above-ground mausoleum crypts for veterans only. The cemetery has since added two more mausoleums for veterans.
In addition, there are 15 private mausoleums and a new public mausoleum. The Greenwood Chapel can be used for all types of memorial services, from mausoleum and ground burials to cremation services. Greenwood Cemetery’s crematory opened in 1983.